Monday, January 18, 2010

I don't think anyone cares about this except for me. And people in Austria.

Today is the day that Thomas Vanek's biography hit the shelves in German speaking countries. Unfortunately for myself, I have to wait until an English translation comes out and who KNOWS when that will be. I'm pretty bummed about it to be honest. It doesn't help that his website posted an excerpt from the book and it made me want to get it even more.

Since I'm giddy for this, I'm going to post a few paragraphs from the book:

"My mouth is wired shut and still hurts. It’s been six days now that a puck hit me in the face. It happened in the game against the Ottawa Senators when Anton Volchenkov ripped a slapshot from just a few feet away and broke my right jaw. I underwent facial surgery the next day. To help heal the injury faster the doctors had my mouth wired. I can’t even talk. It hurts not being on the ice in this emotionally charged game, only watching from above and crossing my fingers for my team.

[…] That’s why it’s so important to win tonight – or at least to give our very best. We want to help the people in the arena to forget the tragedy. We want to entertain them for an evening, detract their thoughts and lessen their suffering. It’s not so different from any other given night, people from all social stratums unite during a game. No matter if they are bankers or construction workers, they are all one in their suffering. Just like they are one in their exultation when we score tonight. There is no place like a rink or a stadium to break down social barriers."


As you can tell, this excerpt is from the day of the plane crash. That last paragraph really hits the nail on the head. Thomas is right - this city is made up of people of so many professions, but that does not mean they do not share the same exact suffering.

"I walk over to Tim Connolly and Derek Roy, the Centers I play with most of the time, and give them a friendly slap on the shoulders. Most players are already standing, anxiously waiting to get out in the rink. I give a nod to Ales Kotalik, one of my best friends on the team, and then leave the locker-room. I want to be up in the players’ box when the game starts. On my way out I pass the box with our sticks, ready to hand for the players taking to the ice. I can’t help it but my arm twitches toward my “Warrior”-stick. After a moment’s thought I put it back in the box. I won’t be needing it tonight. Wistfully I push open the heavy, chrome-plated door with the Sabres logo on it.

A few reporters are waiting outside in the hallway. They want a short comment from me. All I can do is point to my swollen jaw, shake my head and walk on. After 50 meters I come to a branch in the corridor. To the right the way leads to the parking deck where my Land Rover is parked. To the left the corridor continues on to the public area of the arena and the elevator that will take me up to the second level. I give a nod to Stan, the security guy, who guides me through the security door. Most fans are already in the arena by now, so I’m all by myself in the elevator. Everyone who visits HSBC Arena for the first time feels more like in a hotel than a sports arena. What a difference to the mostly sterile and purely functional arenas in Europe."


'All by myseeeeelf...'
Okay, really. As I read the part about how his arm twitched towards his stick, it made me extremely sad. It also makes me realize more how much he wanted to be out there and couldn't be because of his first REAL injury.

"[…] It’s 19.38, the moment Buffalo has been waiting for hours. Everybody is looking down on the 12 players on the ice. There are exactly 18,690 people in the arena, hundreds of thousands more are watching at home or in bars on television. My thoughts go out to my comrades. I can think my way into everyone of them. I know what Tim Connolly thinks, waiting for his first shift, I can feel the energy when our backup goalie Lalime gives a high five to every player returning from a shift. I can feel the tension and the camaraderie which is more pronounced in our sport than in any other. Hockey is the fastest game in the world and also one of the most exhausting. You can’t be on the ice for more than a minute and give your best. Then you have to get off and have a few moments to talk to your line mates about the last shift. This welds guys together."


How true is it that these game completely welds guys together. Not only are they all on the same team but all these guys are a family. Especially when they play together for so long. THIS team is a family.

6 comments:

  1. Um, these quotes are love. I'm definitely going to read the book when it is released in English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they though? :) I'm kind of glad that it seems to be set up like diary entries...I really hope they get it translated soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think many people (at least around here) would read it if it was released in English. I really hope they end up doing it, like I said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how he's talking about having his jaw wired shut and what hurts is not his face, but that he can't play.

    This does sound like a pretty interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't even think of it like that, Aubrey. He did come back really early after getting hit in the face, because of the fact he wanted to play so badly.

    ReplyDelete