Saturday, January 2, 2010

We Haven't Lost!...This Year.



Last night, my dad and I continued our awkward tradition of going to one game a season together. 

For those who don't know, my dad lives overseas in the Middle East. He's home roughly three to four times a year, and only once during a legitimate hockey season (he's usually home for part of the playoffs, but, the Sabres are not). We had between last night and the Penguins game on the 29th to go to, and he picked this one much to my now kicking myself. 

Anywho, he is a hockey fan, but was raised in Canada during the Habs being the only team worthy of anything, so his outlook on American hockey remains shaky. His only updated knowledge of the Sabres comes from what he hears from me on the phone, the Patty bobblehead, and Drew Stafford. An awkward, and at times lethal, combination, but he caught on really quick with lots of me going ' that's the one who/that/is...'

Or he just didn't care, one of the two. 

He was getting very frustrated, which we all were I'm sure. He openly commented on the power play being a joke, our shots on goal, and players constantly dumping the puck. I sat there twirling my hair on my finger and nodding. I think he expected me to be more angry, but I'm so use to it. And, I think it says a lot that a guy who sees like one or two Sabres games a year catches on to this nonsense that fast. 

The sign you see above I had prepared and promised myself I'd only bring it out if they scored three goals before we scored any. That, obviously, happened and Shelby (who wasn't there) was more excited for it than anybody. Had Jochen waited a minute or two before his first goal, it would have been all Patty. 

Quick side note about Patty, his middle daughter turned six (?) yesterday! How awesome to be a New Years baby, and get your name on the jumbotron!

Anywho, Ryan stayed in and thankfully decided to no longer let goals in. I jokingly told myself that my New Years Resolution would be to stop ragging on Ryan so much, but with the Olympics getting even closer I don't see that happening. My dad commented on how he had to make Team USA for a reason and I muttered something along the lines of ' four American goalies, three are picked, it's not hard.'

I understand that they totally outshot us, and it was eventually going to happen, but that doesn't entirely cut it for me. Someone who thinks too highly of herself commented that my status of ' holy shit, miller won a game' leads to the belief that I know nothing about hockey. 

Though I admit I am sometimes far too hard on the guy, I usually only do it to be silly and get a rise out of people (it works far too well). It's not that I don't know anything, it's just that I refuse to get on board THAT ship. 

Anywho, Timmy scored which was pleasant as always. The guy sitting next to me, who is responsible for why I cannot hear out of my left ear, kept ragging on Timmy. He was rather bi-polar about it...he'd yell when Timmy wouldn't dump the puck (which isn't a good idea as it is) but was happy when he scored, then mad again. However, he was a big Tyler Myers fan and at that point, I stopped taking him seriously. 

He also yelled a mean comment to Max in regards to why he no longer plays for us, and I took the time to remind him that Max is three goals ahead of our leading goal scorer. Not to mention I would have Thomas Vanek's full support on that one. 

Yo Yo also continued to win me over after a season of upset...and Adam Mair still scored in MY play by play. 

Woah, we passed the Caps in the standings? Scary stuff, hopefully it won't last. 

I should end this before I start to ramble, hehehe. 

I stumbled across this picture on my memory card from the team practice on the 29th. I cannot help but find it adorable: 




1 comment:

  1. At least you guys stayed for the entire game...unlike my brother. Jeez.

    ReplyDelete